The training offered to the student is fundamentally based on the tutorial accompaniment of his work, aiming essentially to develop his autonomy, innovative and creative spirit in order to guide his learning to high level R&D practices.
During the first semester of the course and prior to the approval of his admission to the PhD, the student will have to attend the UC "Project of Thesis in Science and Engineering of Polymers and Composites" that will allow him, under the guidance of his supervisor, to acquire and develop all the complementary research skills needed for the good progress of his creative, innovative and original PhD work. In this phase, it is also intended that the student consolidates one R&D creative culture and acquires in-depth and robust knowledges and developes high-level scientific and technological skills in the field of Polymer and Composites Science and Engineering that allows him to produce a research of excellence and an up-to-date, in-depth and cutting-edge scientific work in the relevant scientific field where his thesis is integrated.
All the knowledge and experience gained in this first phase of the course will enable the student to make a significant leap and up-to-date his scientific knowledge, which will enable him to address in much more effective and independent manner the complex engineering problems he will find during his PhD work.
Key learning outcomes
1. To promote one competitive science with high social, technological and innovation impact in the domain of the Polymer and Composite Engineering in order to improve the competitiveness and innovation of national and international public and private institutions.
2. To encourage the acquisition and transfer of innovative knowledge and ideas of excellency between Universities, R&D Centres and national and international companies.
3. To prepare professionals with eclectic and advanced training that are able to systematic understanding high complex problems in the specific field of the science and engineering of polymers and composites, together with a more global broader training areas (both in terms of another engineering fields or in other human domains), in order to obtain an integrated and multidisciplinary training for the excellency.
4. To provide students with the competences, skills and research methods that ensure the ability to conceive, design, adapt and carry out an original, high-level scientific research project, according to the internationally accepted parameters of quality and innovation in the scientific domain of the course.
5. Training high level professionals that will be able to solve complex challenges and problems of engineering in a structured and rigorous way and to address in a multidisciplinary way engineering problems, fitting them into the respective technical-scientific, economic, social and environmental contexts.
6. Promoting a proactive attitude towards change in students, framing it in the context of economic development and international competitiveness;
7. To develop in students the ability to present succinctly and rationally the results of their work to technical and/or more general audiences, the leadership and entrepreneurship and the capacity to work in teams and networks and with a high awareness of citizenship and eco sustainable action.
8. Provide the students with an educational background that encourage them to develop research of excellence and to carry out up-to-date and in-depth scientific work.
Access to higher education
The conclusion of this Doctoral degree allows the realization of research activity at post-doctoral level.
Having acquired solid and advanced knowledge and good ability to develop, with autonomy, creative, critical and high demanding research work in the area of Polymer and Composite Science and Engineering, the holders of the PhD degree will be able to accomplish high responsible positions, develop and coordinate R&D studies, manage complex processes and qualified human resources in industrial companies and in national and international institutions of the technical-scientific system.