Doctoral Program on Biomedical Engineering aims to prepare graduates to acquire systematic understanding skills in a specific field of Biomedical Engineering, along with more comprehensive training in broader areas, to provide integrated and high level training. To this purpose, Doctoral Program on Biomedical Engineering gives to the trainees the competences, skills and research methods that ensure the ability to obtain conceptual and detailed design, to adapt and carry out a high-level scientific research project, according to internationally accepted quality and innovation parameters.
Key learning outcomes
1. Promote excellence and research in topics of Biomedical Engineering, with emphasis on its theoretical foundations; including the specification, design, modeling, representation and exploration of biomedical systems, and related fields, as well as the integration of associated technologies;
2. Increase scientific activity at University of Minho (UM), based on the reality of already existing research in this field at School of Engineering of University of Minho (EENG) and Institute of Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics (I3Bs). Doctoral students will constitute a highly qualified human resources base, essential reinforcement for sustaining high-value-added research projects for the advancement of science and the development of society;
3. To complement the training of masters and graduates (5 years) in courses in the domains of Science and Engineering, providing advanced training in the area of Biomedical Engineering;
4. To provide students with a strong background in research and experimentation methodology, in order to enable them to design and promote research and development projects in academic and / or professional contexts that contribute to widening the frontiers of knowledge;
5. To streamline research and technological development around Biomedical Engineering, promoting the training of highly qualified human resources in this area.
Access to higher education
The conclusion of this Doctoral degree allows the realization of research activity at post-doctoral level.
The Doctoral Program on Biomedical Engineering provides adequate training for the development of professional activity in its various areas of expertise within the Biomedical domains, provided by the respective Research Centers, namely Medical Electronics, Medical Informatics, Medical Devices, Clinical Engineering, Biomechanics and Rehabilitation, Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials. This professional activity can be framed in the Research career, Academic career, Hospitals or Medical Equipment Companies, or even in the development of a business activity related to medical services or devices.