The Master in Materials Engineering aims to:
- Ensure sound training in the field of material physics and chemistry;
- Provide students with scientific knowledge regarding the properties of various types of materials;
- Promote the study of methods and technologies for the manufacture of polymeric, metallic, ceramic and composite materials;
- Ensure training in coating technologies for parts made of polymeric, metallic and ceramic materials;
- Develop in the students their ability to interpret the structure-properties-processing relationships of materials;
- Enable the selection of materials according to their application;
- Provide knowledge in the areas of innovative materials and advanced technologies;
- Stimulate research work in a business or academic environment.
Key learning outcomes
1. Identify the relevant properties of various types of traditional and advanced materials;
2. Characterize the different structures of materials;
3. Estimate the suitability of different metallic, polymeric, ceramic, composites and functional coatings in technical applications;
4. Know the manufacturing technologies and processes applicable to obtaining products;
5. Integrate their problem solving knowledge in contexts related to their field of study;
6. Follow the development of innovative materials;
7. Acquire experience in specialized materials characterization techniques.
Access to higher education
This course gives students the technical and scientific ability to pursue their specialization studies by enabling access to the 3rd cycle (PhD) courses in the field of Materials Engineering or related fields.
Graduates with as Masters in Materials Engineering cover a significant range of activities, including industrial sectors ranging from polymers, metals, ceramics and composites, functional coatings, with special emphasis on the automotive, aerospace, electronics, foundry, metalworking industries , textiles, ceramics, construction, footwear and in the energy and environment sectors, amongst others. Since Materials is an area that is typically associated with a strong scientific activity, it is easy and attractive to undertake postgraduate studies and internships in Portugal or abroad. Companies and R&D entities also provide career opportunities for Materials Engineers.