The program is organized according to the following principles:
- to complete the training of master and 1st cycle degree holders in the areas of Sciences and Engineering, granting advanced training in emergent areas of Materials Engineering, namely regarding innovation and development of materials/products, technologies and processes for new applications.
- to develop research methodology and experimentation skills which allow the autonomous development (either individually or within a research team) of research and development (R&D) activities covering all aspects of the R6D process: revision of the state-of-the-art, project planning, selection and application of research methods and procedures, writing R&D results reports.
Key learning outcomes
The conclusion of this Doctoral degree allows to:
1. perform original research activity on Materials Science field that contributes to the enlargement of frontiers of knowledge, respecting the demands imposed by the standards of academic quality and integrity;
2. evaluate new and complex ideas by integrating them into projects;
3. develop R&D projects either in academic or industrial environment;
4. solve challenges and problems in a structured and rigorous manner and to properly address multidisciplinary engineering problems;
5. have a proactive attitude towards change, framing it in the context of economic development and international competitiveness;
6. succinctly and rationally communicate the results of their work to technical and/or general audiences;
7. work in a team and network, acquire a citizenship awareness and realize the importance of eco-sustainable action.
Thus, it can be said that the training profile of future PhDs holders in Materials Engineering will lead to highly qualified professionals, possessing the knowledge, skills and competencies of permanent value required by the Knowledge Society. The PhD holders in Materials Engineering will be easily able to integrate companies and organizations.
Access to higher education
The conclusion of this Doctoral degree allows the realization of research activity at post-doctoral level.
The holders of PhD degree in Materials Engineering will acquire proper skills for to take positions of responsibility in the development and coordination of scientific research, both in the industrial as in technical-scientific research systems in the field of Materials Engineering (automotive and aeronautic, electronics, metallurgy, ceramics and glass, biomaterials, thin films, etc).